Beware of Scams
Scammers are Using New Techniques to Target Local Businesses and Residents
In the last couple of days, scammers have attempted to defraud Victory Electric members by trying to collect funds over the phone. These scams have happened in the past, but the scammers are getting more sophisticated. In some cases, they have spoofed caller ID’s, so when they call, your caller ID will have Victory Electric’s name and phone number. Individuals will call claiming to be a representative from the "electric company" told members if they didn't go buy a pre-paid credit card to pay their electric bill, they would be disconnected within an hour.
Please do not fall for scams like this. Unfortunately there are always scam artists out there trying to take advantage of people. It's an unfortunate economic crimes issue.
Members should never give out personal or credit card information over the phone. When Victory Electric members are contacted, our representatives will clearly identify themselves and if you have any doubts, please hang up and call our local number.
MoneyPak’s website gives seven tips on how to protect yourself from fraud.
1. Never give your MoneyPak number to someone you don’t know.
2. Never give receipt information about your MoneyPak purchase to another party.
3. Use your MoneyPak only to reload your prepaid cards or accounts you control.
4. Refuse any offer that asks you to buy a MoneyPak and share the number or receipt information by email or phone.
5. To use your MoneyPak with PayPal or eBay or other online merchants, transfer the money to your PayPal account before you pay the merchant. Don’t email your MoneyPak number directly to any merchant.
6. Don’t use the MoneyPak to pay taxes or fees to claim “winnings” on a foreign lottery or prize promotion. Unless it’s an approved MoneyPak partner, don’t use MoneyPak for any offer that requires you to pay before you get the item.
7. Check this list of approved MoneyPak partners before you use your MoneyPak to pay.
Victory Electric members’ information is kept confidential. Consumer information is never shared with third party companies or individuals. Victory uses the information you give us solely for the purpose of providing you with electric service. It is our policy not to release or sell member information to any third parties for any reason.
We would like you to share this information with your employees, friends and families. Citizens who believe they have been a victim of this scam are urged to call Victory Electric, Dodge City Police Department or the Ford County Sheriff’s office.