Ten local students whose families are served by The Victory Electric Cooperative Assn., Inc., earned a $1,000 Lightner Community Spirit Scholarship. The scholarships are designed to recognize students who have demonstrated academic success as well as showing a commitment to bettering their community.
- Eli Bullinger of Montezuma, son of Reed and Brenda Bullinger, senior at South Gray High School.
- Cannon Bunkall of Dodge City, son of David and Robyn Bunkall, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Breanna Galindo of Dodge City, daughter of Carlos and Jennifer Ibarra, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Victoria Garcia Unzueta of Dodge City, daughter of Sergio and Teresita Reyes, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Olivia Gregg of Dodge City, daughter of Dirk and Barbara Nebbeling, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Morgan Harvey of Dodge City, daughter of Michael and Amy Harvey, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Patricia Hokanson of Bucklin, daughter of Stephen and Jane Hokanson, senior at Bucklin High School.
- Madeline Kalscheur of Dodge City, daughter of David and Diana Kalscheur, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Aria Knedler of Dodge City, daughter of Kelly and Tami Knedler, senior at Dodge City High School.
- Ambrose Shaughnessy of Cimarron, son of Sean and Anne Shaughnessy, senior at Cimarron High School.
“We congratulate the 2019 scholarship winners and are proud to reward the students for their academic success and dedication to their community,” said Shane Laws, Victory Electric CEO. “As a not-for-profit cooperative, one of our guiding principles is ‘Commitment to Community,’ and I can’t think of a better way than a scholarship program to give back to the communities we serve and encourage youth to be involved in their own community.”
The name of the scholarship honors the Lightner family of Plymell, Kansas. Richard Lightner served on the Victory Electric board of trustees for 37 years and his father, George, served 31 years previous. Both strongly supported Victory Electric’s community and youth programs.
To be eligible for the scholarship, applicants must be an active member in good standing with the cooperative, or a dependent of such member. Applicants must be a student or entering an accredited trade school, college or university (two or four year). For more information, please visit our website at victoryelectric.net/content/scholarships or contact Jerri Whitley at 620-371-7730 or email@example.com.