Victory Electric has more than 70 employees working in the Dodge City area. The office has a culture based upon integrity, honesty, loyalty, accountability, with benevolence to each other and our members. Our goals are to cultivate and educate our fellow employees and board of trustees to better serve ourselves and our members with intellectual wisdom.
Careers in the electric cooperative industry are not limited to being a lineman. In addition to linemen, we have a wide array of opportunities within the co-op, including accounting, communications, engineering, IT, member services and much more.
For more information on open positions within the cooperative, please contact Amy Grasser or Haley Evans or download our application for employment. Upon completion of application, you may submit it in person, by fax (620-371-7780), by mail, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Victory Electric is looking for a positive, enthusiastic and proactive team member seeking a career in the area of communications, to join our communications team. The communications coordinator position, with an emphasis on writing, will assist in the execution of an effective communications strategy and produce projects and events that support the cooperative and its membership. The ideal candidate will be an expert wordsmith and storyteller who can showcase Victory Electric’s programs, events, products and services to multiple audiences and improve member experience.
Preference will be given for experience in Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat, and to those who possess an effective working knowledge of writing, content creation, and an excellent command of written English and AP Style, grammar, punctuation and spelling for both technical and creative writing.
This position is largely responsible for written content creation but as a member of the communications and community relations team, they will represent the cooperative in community events, activities, civic groups and related organizations, and assist with planning and coordination of cooperative sponsored events. If not already proficient, candidates should be willing to learn and develop skills in website and print production, including the design of brochures, email graphics, handouts, newsletters, reports, presentations, exhibits, banners, advertising, photography, video, and websites for both internal and external communications.
To assist in the execution of an effective communications strategy and produce projects and events that support the cooperative and its membership through message development, media strategy, presentations, videos, events, marketing materials, website content, written and digital communications. Work with the communications team and other key leadership to tell the cooperative story and mission through the creation of compelling content. Work in a team-oriented environment and provide collaboration and communication consistent with the vision, mission, and values of the cooperative to build member satisfaction and enhance engagement.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- An associates or bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, public relations, English or related major is preferred. Experience in related field may be substituted.
- One to three years’ experience in marketing and communications and knowledge of the electric industry reporting on major issues including cooperative programs and events, rates, power supply, distribution, regulation and transmission is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Preferred experience and background in writing. Must possess an effective working knowledge of writing and an excellent command of written English and AP Style, grammar, punctuation and spelling for both technical and creative writing. Also required is the ability to originate and prepare written material, create concise, eye-catching, and innovative headlines and body copy, and research and learn about a wide range of topics. Capability to regularly produce various content types, including press releases, newsletter content, magazine stories, correspondence and social media content, and more. Should be able to effectively edit content produced by other employees of the cooperative and collaborate with other departments to create innovative content ideas for various communication channels. Also, the ability to make recommendations to improve Victory Electric’s communications efforts to improve and enhance the member experience, and communicate effectively with the communications department and leadership for the strategic development of content across platforms.
- Must possess an effective working knowledge of publication design techniques. Ability to gather, write, edit, lay out, and distribute digital content and written publications. Proficient in the use of various computer programs for publication production and graphic presentations, including Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of or willingness to develop skills and learn graphic design concepts, standards, techniques and best practices; and website and print production, including the writing and design of brochures, email graphics, handouts/fliers, advertisements, newsletters, reports, presentations, exhibits, banners, advertising, signs, invitations, photography, videography and websites for both internal and external communications.
- Must have the ability to work with and consistently meet deadlines, budgets, and work on several projects simultaneously. Must have strong written/verbal communication skills, effective leadership skills, strong interpersonal skills, the ability to effectively handle competing priorities, and complete projects in a timely manner with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail. Must be able to write and understand technical terminology and concepts, work independently, demonstrate initiative and motivation to organize and complete tasks, and be member-service oriented with ability to work in a team environment and with a wide variety of people to foster cooperation in sharing information and materials.
- Must be able to acquire, within a reasonable time span, knowledge of Victory Electric and its programs, services and products.
- The job, at times, may require irregular hours with some night and weekend work required. Should be able to travel and attend training and meetings in and out of state as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Formulate, write and design information to keep the public, interest groups, board of trustees, members and employees aware of Victory Electric’s policies, activities, programs, services, positions on current issues and accomplishments.
- Perform research on different topics, research and uncover newsworthy stories, interview key people, write content with specific audience in mind, ensure writing is accurate and objective, maintain notes in written or electronic form, contribute to content idea generation, stay up-to-date with local, state and national industry news and trends.
- Content creation, writing, preparing layout, editing and coordination of the printing and distribution of Victory Electric’s monthly newsletter.
- Assist with the preparation, editing, and publishing of publications by the assigned deadline dates. Activities include writing articles, soliciting articles from other employees, photography, page layout and design, editing material written or submitted, establishing mutually agreed on deadline dates with the printer, correcting proofs, proofreading, and generally ensuring high quality for the publications.
- Serve as liaison to all Victory Electric employees for writing/editing, publications, graphics, document creation, and visual and oral presentation development.
- Assure Victory Electric and its employees/trustees/departments are maintaining a cohesive brand and speaking in a unified, consistent voice with regard to the activities of the cooperative, its policies, procedures and position on current issues.
- Promote the proper use of the Company logos on merchandise, in presentations, in publications, etc.
- In addition to writing, duties include assisting with the content management and design of the cooperative website, graphic design, publication layout and design, photography, event planning, public speaking and presentations, media relations, involvement in community organizations and events, and more.
- Develop and maintain interactive working relationships with allied organizations, government officials and agencies, and other influential individuals and organizations to broaden the co-op’s public relations base.
- Assist in the establishment of a communications and media program by creating a network with all newspapers, radio stations and television stations in the Victory service area. Coordinate media interest in the cooperative and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests.
- Participate in and represent Victory Electric at functions as needed.
- Serve as a liaison with the communities served by the cooperative. Represent the cooperative in the communities throughout the service area by participating in civic and related organizations to improve the cooperative’s image in the community and utility industry.
- Assist in promotional appearances and appropriate staffing at area meetings, fairs, trade/home shows, and cooperative member meetings and events.
- Develop, organize, research and prepare educational programs and presentations and speak to groups alone or with other employees.
- Assist the Victory Electric staff, member system employees, consultants and other designated people in the preparation and delivery of presentations and public awareness seminars.
- Consults with employees in the development of projects and programs to insure events and activities are appropriately staffed and professional customer services are provided.
- Assist with coordination of special events, activities and promotions sponsored by Victory Electric, such as the Community Health Fair, Pumpkin Painting and Carving Festival, Parade of Lights and Chili Cook-off, youth tour, and the cooperative annual meeting.
- Develop and advise the vice president of communications of methods and opportunities to enhance the cooperative and departmental goals.
- Attend and participate in the cooperative’s annual meeting as required or directed.
- Be familiar with, and at all times follow, the best safety practices set forth in the cooperative's safety manual.
- Actively seek out department needs and provide assistance.
- Perform such other duties as may be required or directed. As time permits, it may be required of the employee, by the vice president of communications or CEO, to assume responsibilities in other areas of the cooperative during absences or special projects. The cooperative reserves the right to change or reclassify any given position description based on business needs.
This outline is not all-inclusive but rather serves as a general overview of the current business needs. Experience guidelines are not the sole basis for awarding this position and substitutions may be made as they relate to the essential functions, duties, and responsibilities of this position.
A more detailed job description can be found on our website at victoryelectric.net/content/careers. Victory Electric is an equal opportunity employer with competitive wages and excellent benefits. Pre-employment drug screening and background check is required. Position opened until filled. Individuals should mail/fax/email a cover letter, résumé, application and a portfolio of work to: Victory Electric Cooperative ● Attn: Haley Evans ● PO Box 1335 ● Dodge City, KS 67801 ● Fax: 620.227.8948 ● email@example.com.
Pre-employment drug screening and physical is required. Victory Electric is an equal opportunity action employer. Position opened until filled. Individuals should mail/fax/email their cover letter & résumé to: Victory Electric Cooperative • Attn: HR Department • PO Box 1335 • Dodge City, KS 67801 • Fax: 620.227.8948 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org